Saturday

INTRODUCING A SMALL SUPORTING CAST AND SOME BACK PAIN PT.1


Comics! Comics! Comics! Within those 32 pages of narrative pizzazz and colorful costumed heroes lies a story for any one. The dazzling snapping plot twists of a radiated arachnid infected teenager to the magic-wielding homeless half-demon are just to name a few of your options for escape. Staring into the collision of image and text, narrowly from panel to panel, the reader’s eye sockets burn from sparks of god-thunder and galaxy juggling. It’s a small wonder that two simple metal staples can contain such pulpy epics.

Amongst the fantasy laden tales and exotic commonality, is a guide- just as rare as the unicorn, winged griffin, or two-headed liger - the comic shop manager. A position well parodied, the comic book guy, is an obese middle-aged virgin, whose encyclopedic knowledge of trivia and popular culture is worn like a smug badge. Rather, I, a middle height, middle weight, brown haired, green eyed college graduate, whose areas of expertise’s still seem undefined compared to the typical know-it-all, am helpful and willing to share my excitement for the art form we solicit.

Unfortunately on a day like this (rainy, cold, and Monday), I knew it would be a lonely one. Opening B Bop Comics, I first rattle through my keys to open the clunking nearly busted lock. The door needs a certain twist of the wrist that is at first sensitive then forceful to open up. Flipping on the florescent over-head lighting for the botanical garden of colorful heroes I race over to the repeating buzz of the opening alarm. Next I fix the thermostat to a conservative 67 degrees. The remainder of tasks to finish the opening procedure include: making sure the register has some cash, all phone calls on the answering machine are returned, and finally flipping the closed sign over.


The phone rang later that day.
“Hello, B-Bop Comics.” I try to say it with a cheerful politeness, but usually I come off as mopishly dismal. It was the owner Friendly Frank on the line. The smiling mustached comic baron, was getting a divorce. The situation arose of out differences from parenting and the tenuous obligations from balancing a step-family, or so I deduced. I never really met Frank’s family, except on casual instances, like comic book conventions or accidental brush-ins at the art museum or movie theatre. These casual happenings never revealed a distressed household, but I had ample experience in the failures of re-ignited vows.
These failures were set in backdrop of Fallon, Nevada, where my sister and I were no longer main characters to my father’s summers, but cast as mere step-children amongst an ensemble of disapproving grandparents, a harassing ex-husband, and unfamiliar siblings. Crossovers don’t’ usually last. The adventures of Risi and Smith ended when my step-mother died from a sudden brain tumor. Her end (those surmised) was a combination of a recent childbearing and the aforementioned abusive ex-husband.

“Oh, wow. I’m sorry to hear that.” Frank says kindly. We chat a little further, mostly about business, and then we end our conversation.